Aloo Baingan – a cheap, simple, nutritious and standard healthful meal. pretty smooth to make, doesn’t require any particular talent or talent.
however once I let you know Aloo Baingan become celebrated in my residence developing up, I imply it turned into celebrated with unwavering, pure foodie love! whilst it was Aloo Baingan day, all people might congregate together over the dastarkhwaan in my grandmothers room with pleasure and experience plates after plates of this apparently harmless dish. It turned into a huge deal, everybody would have been waiting excitedly from the morning time for this meal and that they had to revel in it together.
I grew up in a joint circle of relatives – three of my chachus and chachis and all their kids all lived alongside my family PLUS my grandparents, until i was approximately thirteen. Yup, it became cramped!
So after I say we congregated, I imply there were approximately 10-15 VERY glad people going to city with the Aloo Baingan.
lots of people didn’t get it. Like, it’s simply an aubergine. So what?
I don’t understand guys, however genuinely I experience the magic too. perhaps it’s the nostalgia of my formative years i have attached to this dish. maybe it’s definitely only a truely delicious dish. I assume it’s both.
Now there is no joint circle of relatives system at my mom’s, however each time a person has cooked Aloo Baingan, there’ll actually be some plates visiting down the street to share with all people else. It’s a lovable sentiment, in ode to anyone’s collective love for Aloo Baingan.
How to make Aloo Baingan
I find the entire method for this curry so easy and short – it’s the right recipe to attempt out if you’re a newbie!
start out by means of heating some oil in a pan or pot, then including some sliced onions and optionally some curry leaves. best upload those if you like them or have them in your food often!
Fry those onions up for just 2-three mins, till they loosen up and end up limp.
Then add within the tomatoes and fry this collectively with the onions till the tomatoes also lose their shape and come to be jammy.
continue to add inside the ginger, garlic and all of the spices. prepare dinner this down till the mixture concentrates/thickens and the oil begins to upward push to the pinnacle.
add in the aubergines, potatoes and 1/2 a cup of water. cover with a lid and simmer the whole thing until the potatoes are soft, checking every five minutes. This cook dinner time will take round 20-25 mins (doubtlessly more if you want your aubergine to be high-quality smooth), however again – please preserve checking. in case you experience such as you need to add water in to prevent the curry from sticking to the bottom, add in 1/four cup at a time.
once the potatoes are cooked and the feel of the aubergine is in your liking, take out 2-3 portions of potatoes, mash them with a fork and then go back them to the mixture. Stir in gently to combine via. this is a terrifi tip I picked up from Shayma over on the Spice Spoon and i like the way it complements the masala of the curry.
Your Aloo Baingan is ready! Serve garnished with fresh coriander.
What Potatoes Go Best in Aloo Baingan?
Baby potatoes flavor superb in curries. experience free to apply this tip for other recipes too, it’s official. i love the usage of toddler potatoes on every occasion i will – I definitely propose you use them in this recipe. in case you don’t have them, that’s virtually good enough too. It’s not a deal-breaker, but truely i can ask you to provide it a try at least as soon as.
Just Some Random Aubergine Tips:
- In this recipe, I have used one large aubergine. The reason for this, quite frankly, was because that’s all I was able to find that day. The small variety of aubergine is better suited to curries – if you’d like to use those then about 4-5 will suffice for this recipe.
- I choose to preserve the pores and skin of the aubergine on due to the fact then you could without a doubt differentiate among the aubergine and the potatoes. whilst the pores and skin is taken off I feel find it irresistible all simply becomes a messy mush
- in case you need to take this recipe up an entire notch, I’ll allow you to in on a secret. you may shallow pan-fry the aubergines before adding them in – it adds some really indulgent depth to this recipe. I do it in my baingan gosht recipe right here!. you could even roast them on an open flame and then remove the insides in case you want to head crazy proper right here. I haven’t carried out this myself within the recipe due to the fact I desired to make this easy and simple. but sincerely guys, if you need to be extra, attempt IT!
- How firm or mushy you want to keep the aubergine is entirely up to you. If you prefer an aubergine that holds it shape more, then may not need to add much water. If you want the aubergine to integrate more into the masala, you are free to add an additional 1/4-1/2 cup or so of water and cook the curry for 10 minutes longer. I prefer my Aloo Baingan with the aubergine pretty mushy, so I always allow the extra cook time
- If you’re a regular reader or follower on Instagram, you’ll know I always advocate for the use of fresh ingredients. Fresh garlic, fresh ginger, fresh tomatoes – they all make such a world of a difference in elevating the flavour profile of your dish
How to Serve Aloo Baingan
In my house, Aloo Baingan changed into usually served with white rice and a zesty salad with masses of raw onion. It also is going properly with some pickle too. Aloo Baingan is taken into consideration an ‘afternoon’ meal, of direction no longer a difficult and speedy rule but as a wellknown, unsaid aspect in my Mum’s residence. equal with my husband’s house too, absolutely.
i hope you revel in this Aloo Baingan recipe within the same manner my family used to and still does nowadays revel in!