Moroccan bird Tagine – bird braised in a rich spice-infused sauce studded with chickpeas and dried apricots. simply, YUM! Serve over couscous for genuine consuming enjoyment.
when you’ve made this, attempt Vegetable Tagine. Meat-free deliciousness!
Tagine is a traditional North African stew made with meats and veggies braised in a lightly spiced sauce. it is traditionally made in a conical-lidded earthenware pot known as a tagine (from which the dish receives its name!) A tagine’s lid is formed so all of the steam trapped in the dome drips returned into the dish as condensation, retaining the dish moist as it slowly stews.
there are many kinds of tagines. Meat, fish, and all-way of veggies could make their way into this stew. Nuts and preserved results like figs, apricots, lemon, or olives are also regularly added for flavour and hobby. these days I’ve picked a Moroccan fowl tagine with dried apricots and chickpeas.
And don’t fear! You don’t need an actual tagine to make this – we’re going to use an uneventful antique pot!
What goes in Chicken Tagine
The spice blend used on this Morrocan chicken tagine is Ras el handout, a spice mixture common in North Africa used in many dishes. even though you can buy pre-made blends, the balance of flavors can be unpredictable from brand to brand. It’s a lot higher to make your own for regular final results – and it’s less expensive too!
- Bone-in pores and skin-on chook thighs are the first-rate cut for a tagine because they’re nonetheless juicy after the 25 minutes of simmering time required to thicken the sauce and permit the flavors to develop.
- bird legs are an excellent alternative. simply comply with the recipe as written. Boneless thighs and breasts will work however the cooking method is finely altered to feature them returned partway via the sauce simmering time else they may overcook. I’ve popped directions in the notes.
- Ras el hanout – The spice mixture for tagine, made with not unusual spices you could have already got! you may purchase blends however I prefer to make my own to get the right balance of flavors. The first-rate element right here is that due to the fact, we’re the usage of a truthful few exclusive spices right here, it’s not the cease of the arena if you’re lacking one … or maybe. I’ve supplied a few switch-out options in the recipe notes!
- Cinnamon stick – brought to the sauce because it simmers for a lovely perfume and flavor. I love the heady scent of cinnamon this provides to the dish!
- Dried apricots – As mentioned earlier, some versions of tagine are made with olives, others use dried fruit, and others still may also use both. I’ve opted for fruit as it’s one of the few dishes I like that pairs fruit with meat! however I am in my view not partial to each dried fruit and olives together – it’s just a little too much, I find. let one or the other shine, I say!
- however, the recipe consists of the olive choice too.
- Chickpeas – Chickpeas upload some more heft to the dish. I simply use canned for comfort but I’ve popped directions within the notes for cooking dried. other beans, like cannelloni and butter beans, make truthful substitutes, as do lentils.
- Garlic and onion – are critical for the sauce flavor base. It’s uncommon to look at saucy recipes on this internet site that don’t begin with those!!
- Canned tomato – For the sauce base. not strictly conventional however I like how it thickens the sauce so it clings to the couscous better. without it, the sauce may be very watery in consistency. at the same time as conventional tagines are supposed to be like that, I pick a stewy sauce!
- chook stock – to add depth to the sauce. if you just use water, you’ll find the sauce a piece bland.
- For comfort, I commonly use store-sold but self-made hen inventory might take this to every other stage. Also, the vegetable stock would be a terrific alternative.
- Coriander/cilantro – A clean garnish. endorsed, however not a deal-breaker if you’re one of those people who can’t stand coriander. Or if the charge of coriander has sky-rocketed to dizzying ranges currently, as it has right here in Sydney because of severe climate situations!
Preserved lemon – An element used in Moroccan and a few Indian cooking that is regularly utilized in conventional tagines. by chance omitted from the substances picture above, so I’m giving it air time with a huge photograph!
- Preserved lemon is lemon pickled in salt. The salt mellows the sharpness of the lemon juice and transforms the flavor remarkably, intensifying the earthiness of the lemon flavor in the zest.
- nowadays it’s pretty smooth to discover at big grocery stores in Australia (Coles, Woolies, Harris Farms) however don’t worry if you can’t find it. Tagine is still really worth making without it!
the way to use preserved lemon: We only use the rind as that is where all of the flavors are! Take a bit out of the jar and scrape off the pith (white part of the rind) and pulp the usage of a teaspoon (it’s extraordinarily salty and also bitter). Rinse the rind very well under tap water to take away extra salt then finely mince it with a knife.
How to make Chicken Tagine
Brown the fowl pores and skin until golden, then braise inside the spice-infused sauce. easy!
- Plump up apricots – cover the dried apricots with boiling water then leave for half-hour to plump up.
- Brown bird – Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown the skin nicely in a pan. This takes an excellent eight to ten mins. Don’t shortcut this step! The browned pores and skin adds a stack of flavor to the bird, plus it leaves at the back golden bits caught at the pan (referred to as “fond”) which imparts treasured flavor to the sauce.
- once the skin side is nicely browned, sear the other facet for just 1 minute then remove. The bird won’t be cooked thru at this stage. we will end up cooking it in the sauce.
- Sauté aromatics and spices – Sauté the onion and garlic, then cook dinner off the spices in short. Sautéing spices before adding drinks is a great tip for liberating extra flavor from the spices. It without a doubt does for tagines!
- Tagine sauce – add the chickpeas, apricot, tomato, preserved lemon, inventory, and cinnamon stick. Stir, then bring it to a simmer.
- pinnacle with hen – simply area the hen on top, pores, and skin side up. it is going to be partially submerged but the flesh ought to primarily be under the liquid whilst the skin frequently sits above the liquid that’s exactly what you need as this way, the browning on the skin is frequently preserved all through the braising.
- Simmer covered for 5 minutes – adjust the heat as wanted so it’s simmering gently. now not too swiftly else the bottom of the pot will scorch.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes – cast off the lid then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 70°C/158°F (which may be barely less than 20 minutes). Don’t worry approximately going above this temperature as bone-in hen thighs are a completely juicy cut so they’re very forgiving.
- Serving! Tagine is traditionally served over couscous. I’ve popped a few extra facts beneath with a few couscous flavoring alternatives as well as some options for other carb-y companions.
What to serve with Chicken Tagine
Tagine is regularly served over couscous. undeniable couscous is quality although it’s best with a little sprinkle of dried fruit and/or nuts littered during or a spritz of fresh lemon. You’ll discover numerous flavoring alternatives in the couscous recipe.
OTHER STARCHY VEHICLE OPTIONS
Rice (white, brown, basmati), pearl couscous (the giant ones), quinoa, and some other small-grain starchy matters appropriate for sauce-soaking make desirable options. Even mashed potato or mashed cauliflower might be amazing. just something to slop up all that delicious sauce!
in case you’re trying the low-carb component, then Cauliflower Rice will paint properly too. honestly, I assume the slightly nutty flavor from roasting the cauliflower rice will cross truly well with chicken Tagine!
I think a mild, easy facet salad is satisfactory to pair with spice-infused dishes like fowl Tagine. a few recommendations:
- Shredded purple Cabbage, Carrot, and Mint Salad (an ordinary at my Moroccan or center Japanese-themed food)
- Leafy veggies tossed with my normal Salad Dressing (an easy, thing-is going opportunity) or Pomegranate Dressing (for more suitably unusual vibes)
- Cucumber Salad with Herb Garlic vinaigrette
if you’re wanting to make greater of an effect, try this kind of:
- Ottolenghi inexperienced Bean Salad (I am obsessed on this salad!)
- Grilled Eggplant with Yoghurt Sauce
- Roasted Pumpkin with Yogurt Sauce and Pine Nuts
- excellent Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Broccolini with Tahini Sauce (Ottolenghi recipe)
Or – find your personal best aspect salad right here.
love to understand what you watched in case you do this!