This delightful green bean salad features a refreshing lemon dressing and is not only visually appealing but also quick to prepare. Its make-ahead capability makes it perfect for meal planning or for staying ahead when hosting dinner parties and festive holiday gatherings!
Green Bean Salad
This salad is a go-to for me when I’m planning an extensive menu in advance. It’s perfect for prepping ahead, as most of the components can be prepared in advance, leaving very little to do on the day. The beans can be cooked and ready a day or two ahead, the dressing can be made, and the onion can be chopped in advance. The only thing left to do on the day is chop a fresh tomato since it’s best to do that just before serving to maintain its freshness and avoid sogginess.
The taste and presentation of this salad are simply fantastic! The zesty lemon dressing, thickened with mustard, clings perfectly to the beans, adding a burst of flavor. The combination of chopped tomato and onion serves three important purposes:
- It provides a touch of freshness and juiciness, creating a delightful contrast with the beans.
- Acting as a “sponge,” it allows the dressing to soak in and slowly drizzle down over the beans, enhancing the overall flavor.
- Not to forget, it adds a lovely burst of color, making the salad even more visually appealing!
What you need
Here’s what you need:
Not the tossing sort of salad!
To whip up this scrumptious Green Bean Salad:
- Start by shaking the dressing in a jar, as it’s the most effective way to bring all the flavors together!
- Trim the beans to your preferred length.
- Cook the beans to your desired level of doneness—personally, I prefer mine just cooked!
- Pat the cooked beans dry before assembling the salad. This step ensures that the dressing clings perfectly to the beans.
- Sprinkle the chopped tomato and onion over the beans, creating a delightful contrast of flavors.
- Finally, drizzle the prepared dressing all over the salad, allowing the zesty flavors to meld with the beans and veggies.
Voilà! Your delightful Green Bean Salad is ready to be savored and enj
What goes with green bean salad
This versatile salad is a true all-rounder—it can complement almost any type of Western cuisine and also pairs wonderfully with various international flavors, such as Asian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, and Mediterranean dishes. It even pairs beautifully with Indian food, its fresh flavors serving as a perfect counterbalance to richly spiced curries.
You can serve it on the side of a perfectly cooked steak or alongside simple and crispy pan-seared garlic chicken thighs. It pairs beautifully with meatloaf, Bolognese pasta, roast chicken, crispy pan-fried fish, or sticky baked country-style pork chops. The possibilities are endless—I can’t think of any dish it wouldn’t complement!
Moreover, despite being a great choice for large gatherings, this salad has an elegant presentation, making it a wonderful addition to a dinner party table. So, whether you prefer large rustic platters or elegant settings, this salad is sure to impress your guests and elevate any meal to a whole new level of deliciousness!