Packed with veggies and hearty lentils, this vegetarian lentil soup is packed with protein and fiber and is healthier than canned soup! It’s also super easy to make using the stovetop, Instant Pot or Slow Cooker!
I need a new soup in my life – here it is!
Just a combination of spices and various vegetables, a delicious soup that we can’t get enough of all year – we think you’ll join us!
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE!
Very easy! A one-pot recipe made with everyday ingredients that takes about 45 minutes from start to finish. You can use frozen vegetables to shorten the preparation time. Chapter
- Eat Well! It is nutritionally balanced, rich in plant-based protein and healthy fiber.
It also includes fat-free, heart-friendly options like lean lentil soup.
To make cooking easier, we’ve added the Cooktop, Slow Cooker, and Instant Pot methods. If you have leftovers, it tastes even better the next day!
Without further ado, let’s make soup!
Here are everything you need and other ideas for “your” perfect lentil soup recipe. Measurements can be found in the chart below.
- Lentils – These are the main source of protein in this recipe. You can use brown or green lentils in the recipe. If you are using green lentils, you need to add a few minutes to the cooking time as shown in the recipe below.
- Mirepoix—usually a combination of onions, carrots, and celery—provides a great flavor base while adding color and texture.
- Garlic – If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, you can use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Potatoes – Use waxy potatoes, such as red, white, or Yukon gold potatoes, as they hold their shape well when boiled. I’ve used small potatoes here but the sizes are great. Serve with sweet potatoes or butternut squash for variation.
- Green beans – Use fresh or frozen.
- Tomatoes – Use canned tomatoes for convenience or use fresh Roma tomatoes in season.
- Vegetables – I used a small bag of kale and spinach mix, but you can use any vegetable you like – spinach, rainbow chard, chard, or kale.
- Spices – Paprika, cumin, and curry add a deep, warm flavor that I’m starting to love. This is a delicious combination that I know you will love too!
- For a change, I think thyme, Italian spices, or Provencal herbs are good substitutes for cumin and curry.
- Vegetable Sauce – We love using this Best Vegetable Sauce (link) to keep sodium and energy in check. I used less than 1 teaspoon for this recipe. The jar stored in the refrigerator will be stored for a long time.
- Parsley & Lemon – The finishing touch that adds shine and freshness.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN LENTIL SOUP
Vegan lentil soup is easy to make!
Below are the steps for the stovetop method and pictures for your reference. If using the slow cooker or Instant Pot method, just make a few adjustments as described below.
- First gather the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Add the red pepper, cumin and curry and fry for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, green beans, potatoes and lentils and pour over the water.
- Boil the soup for 30 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before the soup is finished, add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Remove from the stove and add some lemon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- That’s it – now you can enjoy a bowl of soup!
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
- Freezing: Leftovers will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 5-6 days. This is a great meal planning idea!
- Freezer: Store in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 months.
- Reheat: Simply reheat at low heat until warm. Alternatively, heat in the microwave every 30 – 60 seconds, stirring each time until warm.
- First: This soup is great for a week’s worth of cooking and tastes even better the next day.
CAN LENTIL SOUP BE FROZEN?
Lentil soup freezes well for 2-3 months! Refrigerate, let cool completely and refrigerate to fix (link), leaving 1/2 inch of top space for expansion. Thaw before reheating. You can freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH LENTIL SOUP
Turn your lentil soup into a hearty, quality meal with one of these delicious recipes!
- Bread: Serve with homemade bread, vegan corn, or vegan naan for dipping.
- Sandwiches: Serve this favorite veggie sandwich with a roasted red pepper sandwich or a grilled hummus sandwich with sautéed onions, tomatoes, and arugula.
- Salad: Serve with house salad, green salad + tahini dressing (or use healthy flax and Evo vinaigrette), vegan Caesar salad, or vegan ranch with leafy greens.
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES!
- Vegan Minestrone
- Vegan Potato and Leek Soup
- Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Soup with Curry
- Lentil Soup with Potato and Vegetable Curry
- Garlic Miso Soup with Vegetables
- Let me know if you try this recipe! Take a look and rate below. I’d love to hear your thoughts or changes you’ve made.