The renowned KFC Potato and Gravy is famous for its velvety smooth mashed potatoes smothered in their distinctive gravy, making it an ideal accompaniment for dipping crispy Fried Chicken and fries. Now, we have a homemade recipe to recreate this classic dish using real ingredients – no potato flakes involved!
KFC Potato and Gravy
By popular demand, I am sharing the recipe for the copycat KFC Potato and Gravy! The inspiration for this recipe came from a photo of Fried Chicken being dipped into a bowl of my homemade version of KFC Potato and Gravy. After readers saw it in the recipe video and post, they eagerly asked for the recipe, and here it is!
The gravy is a spot-on replica of KFC’s and comes together in just 4 minutes! It perfectly complements the softly creamy mashed potatoes, which have a light and fluffy texture. The mashed potatoes are not overly dense, making them perfect for dipping a handful of chips into!
While it is suspected that KFC’s Mashed Potato is made from reconstituted potato flakes, this homemade version uses real potatoes, giving it an authentic taste and feel. So, let’s get into the recipe!
What you need for KFC Potato and Gravy
I have decided to share the Gravy recipe separately because it’s my everyday gravy made entirely from scratch, without using any pan drippings from roasts. Instead, I use hot water as the liquid base. This gravy recipe is incredibly delicious and versatile, as I use it in various dishes. Hence, I wanted to keep it filed separately for easy access.
Now, let’s move on to what you’ll need for the KFC Mashed Potato recipe.
How to make KFC Mashed Potato
The distinctive feature of KFC Mashed Potato is its creamy yet soft texture, which allows it to be a perfect accompaniment for dipping chips and fluffy white rolls.
To achieve this beautiful soft texture, I use real potatoes in my recipe, avoiding potato flakes altogether. The method I follow ensures that the mashed potatoes turn out irresistibly smooth and fluffy. Let me walk you through the steps to create this delightful texture without the use of potato flakes.
Potato Ricer = soft, fluffy, creamy texture
To obtain the signature soft, fluffy, and creamy texture of KFC Mashed Potato with minimal lumps, the key is to use a potato ricer (as shown in step 3 below).
Avoid using a stand mixer or handheld beater as they can over-activate the starch in the potatoes, leading to a denser and heavier texture, which is not desirable for this recipe.
If you don’t have a potato ricer, the next best alternative is a potato masher with holes in the mashing end. This method will yield a similar effect to the potato ricer and help achieve the desired light and fluffy texture.
What to serve with KFC Potato and Gravy
The versatility of this KFC-style mashed potato knows no bounds! Here are just a few mouthwatering ideas:
- Classic KFC-style: Perfect for dunking in Fried Chicken, warm bread rolls, hot chips, or wedges.
- As a side dish: Pair it with sausages, steak, or schnitzel for a delicious complement.
- BBQ Pulled Pork: It makes an excellent accompaniment to this flavorful dish.
- Any roast: Whether it’s roast chicken, pork with incredible crackling, marinated roast beef, or a Prime Rib/Standing Rib Roast, this mashed potato will elevate your roast to another level.
- Slow-cooked Lamb Leg: A match made in heaven!
- Barbecue Pork Ribs: Picture meat falling off the bone, coated in a sticky barbecue sauce, and paired with this creamy goodness.
- Midweek meals: Serve it alongside Sticky Baked Chicken Thighs, juicy Baked Chicken Breast, Marinated Pork Chops, Lamb Chops, the Meatloaf of your dreams, or the best Rissoles you’ve ever had.
And if you find yourself overwhelmed by all the choices, no worries! Grab a spoon and enjoy the incredible taste of this mashed potato all on its own. It’s simply SO GOOD!