Vegan Mushroom Sauce – Made with only 5 ingredients, excluding salt and pepper, this easy mushroom sauce recipe is rich and creamy. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free, and pretty much the best mushroom sauce ever!
For the mushroom lover, this easy vegan mushroom sauce made from scratch is great and pairs perfectly with that pillowy fluffy mashed potatoes you wish you could whip up but have leftovers. 🙂 This is the best food!
Vegan Mushroom Gravy Ingredients
- Mushrooms: Use 1 lb. White or Little Bella. Buying them pre-sliced can save you some time! You can use
- olive oil or your favorite flavored oil, vegetable butter or margarine. Use
- flour, gluten-free flour, or gluten-free mix.
- For mushroom or vegetable soup, make sure you get a good brand that tastes good. I am using soup here, the color of the soup is dark brown, if you use vegetable soup, the effect will be lighter.
- Thyme, this is optional but adds another layer of flavor.
- Fresh salt and pepper will do the trick!
- There are few raw materials, we must use the best materials!
How To Make Mushroom Gravy
Put the pan on the stove, add some oil and turn the heat to medium.
Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 15 minutes until most of the water has evaporated (pictured above).
Add the flour and cook for a few more minutes until the flour is absorbed.
As you can see in the photo above, the flour is completely absorbed (not very appetizing, but wait, we’re not done yet!). Add 1 cup of broth and continue mixing for about 5 minutes until thickened and no lumps of flour remain.
Gradually add more liquid and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until liquid thickens, about 15 – 20 minutes. The sauce will thicken as it sits.
The best vegan mushroom sauce 100% lovingly made from scratch.
Can I freeze mushroom gravy?
You really can! Allow the sauce to cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator, then reheat in a saucepan, stirring to recombine.
What to do with mushroom gravy?
Serve this mushroom gravy with mashed potatoes, rice, lentil bread, baked red potatoes, and vegan biscuits. The perfect sauce for any meal, from gatherings to holiday parties. For a change, try the country sweet sauce!
Let me know if you try this vegan mushroom sauce recipe! Take a look and rate below. I’d love to hear your thoughts or changes you’ve made.