Welcome to Jamaican week!Kicking off our Caribbean banquet with Jerk Fish – pan-fried fish lined with Jamaican jerk seasoning that provides a stack of flavour and makes it crispy. thin white fish fillets prepare dinner in three mins which makes Jerk Fish a amazing rapid dinner!
now and again, I love to do every week of recipes for a themed menu. This week, it’s Jamaican week so that you could make your very personal Caribbean ceremonial dinner at domestic! Who’s inside the temper for a few tropical vibes??
Why you need Jerk Fish in your life
It’s Jamaican – so it’s cool. (simply ask Dozer, underneath).
massive, formidable, Caribbean flavours using everyday spices: garlic, onion, thyme, paprika, all spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne. It’s pleasant in case you’re lacking one or spices motive there’s such a lot of spices in it anyway.
Takes three mins at the range.
Don’t have fish? Use the jerk seasoning on chook, shrimp/prawns or greens. guidelines within the recipe.
What goes in jerk seasoning
Right here are the spices you want for jerk seasoning. the suitable combo of savoury flavour, a hint of spiciness with the signature touch of sweetness. The scent while it hits the pan is intoxicating!
There’s such a lot of spices in Jerk seasoning, in case you’re missing one (or two…) it’s not the cease of the sector, you’ll nonetheless end up with a fantastic Jamaican-(ish) spice mixture. right here are substitution guidelines:
- Garlic powder – greater onion powder, and vice versa
- Dried thyme – oregano
- Brown sugar – 2 tsp caster sugar / superfine sugar
- Cayenne pepper – pure floor chilli, red pepper flakes, half tsp freshly floor black pepper or pass over if you want now not highly spiced
- Smoked paprika – everyday paprika
- Allspice powder – combined spice
- Cinnamon powder – try now not to go away this out! It adds an irreplaceable unique contact.
- Nutmeg powder – extra cinnamon
Fish for jerk fish
The fish pictured at some point of this submit is snapper, pictured below, but jerk seasoning will paintings with any type of fish fillet that’s suitable for pan frying as long as it’s far a skinny fillet no thicker than 1.5 cm / 0/6″ on the thickest factor. It needs to be skinny so it chefs thru inside three – four minutes else the jerk seasoning will burn.
Snapper is a totally famous fish here in Australia, beloved for the slight, sweet, sensitive flavour, which isn’t always “fishy” at all. The flesh is fairly company and moist, and fillets are clean to prepare dinner flippantly because they’re flat with an even thickness (in place of, say, salmon, whilst some fillets have a completely thick “hump” (the loin) though you can discover skinny salmon fillets (the tail give up).
Don’t have fish? you could the jerk seasoning on hen, shrimp/prawns or greens. recommendations in the recipe.
How to make jerk fish
In a nutshell: coat fish within the jerk seasoning then pan fry for 2 minutes on the first facet and 1 minute on the second one side. That’s a three minute dinner – we want greater of these in our existence!!!
- Jerk seasoning – blend the jerk seasoning spices in a bowl.
- Coat – unfold the jerk seasoning in a tray or plate just big sufficient to healthy the fish fillets. Then coat each piece of fish with the seasoning, pressing to adhere. Shake off excess and put on a plate. Repeat with ultimate fish.
- Pan fry three minutes – warmness oil in a large non-stick skillet over excessive heat. As soon as you spot the first small wisps of smoke, area 2 fillets inside the pan presentation facet down. prepare dinner for two mins on the first aspect till the floor is a deep bronze shade with a reddish tinge (don’t permit it burn!), carefully flip then cook the alternative facet for 1 minute.
relaxation 2 minutes – switch the fish to a rack and rest for two minutes. It’s satisfactory to use a rack to keep the crispiness of the jerk-crust. in case you use a plate, the bottom will sweat and compromise the crispiness. no longer the give up of the sector… however a rack is higher!
as soon as rested, transfer the fish to a plate and serve!
Jamaican week sides for Jerk fish!
To serve together with your Jerk fish, two fantastic aspects! Jamaican Slaw (shockingly scrumptious) and Jamaican Coconut Rice and Peas. And to complete your Jamaican banquet, rum and raisin ice cream with out an ice cream maker! that is one of those recipes I deem to be some thing money-can’t-buy because it has real rum flavour which you just won’t get in tubs from the shops.
That is a spread of seriously accurate meals. i hope you enjoy Jamaican week as a great deal as i have developing the recipes!!!