Here’s a simple 1-ingredient, 15-second recipe to create delectable caramel using sweetened condensed milk and a slow cooker.
Make a luscious sweetened condensed milk caramel with just one step: Put sealed cans of sweetened condensed milk into the slow cooker, add water to cover them, and let them slow cook on low for 8 hours. The result? A wonderfully smooth, incredibly rich caramel sauce with a deep flavor profile, and the best part – no stirring required!
Sweetened Condensed Milk Caramel
Dulce De Leche is the ultimate caramel – velvety, dense, and profoundly caramel-flavored, hailing from South America. Its name translates to “candy of milk,” which perfectly encapsulates its composition: a slow-cooked blend of milk and sugar.
Creating it from scratch involves an initial hour of careful attention to prevent scorching at the base, followed by an additional 2 hours of monitoring and cooking. However, if you lean towards simplicity, an effortless approach involves utilizing condensed milk in a slow cooker. Here’s how:
- Place sealed condensed milk cans into the slow cooker – no need to remove labels. (3 seconds)
- Fill the slow cooker with hot tap water. (10 seconds)
- Set the slow cooker to 8 hours on low heat. (2 seconds)
Upon opening the cans, you’ll be greeted by a captivating deep golden hue and an aroma that will undoubtedly tantalize your taste buds. Exercise restraint, as it’s challenging to resist diving in with a spoon due to its allure!
The caramel boasts a pleasantly thick and spreadable consistency (as seen in the top image), showcasing perfect smoothness. Should you prefer a pourable texture, a touch of milk, water, or a brief microwave reheating can achieve this.
When serving, elaborate presentation isn’t necessary. I often lightly warm it and generously pour it over vanilla ice cream or spread it onto a biscuit. Its richness negates the need for excessive accompaniments. However, here are alternative suggestions:
- Enhance coffee with it as a sweetener and creamer.
- Spread it on muffins, toast, graham crackers, or shortbread biscuits.
- Drizzle it over cakes, cupcakes, or slices.
- Employ it as a layer in cheesecakes or to stuff brownies.
- Elevate crepes, pancakes, or churros with a luscious drizzle.
- Consider offering it as a thoughtful gift.
This Dulce De Leche also stars in Shortbread Dulce De Leche Cookie Sandwiches and can even be the delectable filling for brownies.
Give it a whirl – it’s an asset in the fridge. I’m particularly delighted to have prepared this batch, as I’ve invited friends over this upcoming weekend!