This homemade recipe for french onion dip is healthier than the store-bought and made with sweet caramelised onions – perfect for chips!
This is probably no longer the french onion dip you grew up ingesting. In reality, it’s no longer the one I grew up ingesting both. It’s a self made recipe made with caramelised onions, sour cream, chives and a few seasonings. It’s lower in fats and calories than the store-bought version however simply as creamy and crave-worth! And if you’re crazy about dips and sauces do check my recipes of Avocado sauce and Shatta sauce
How to Make French Onion Dip From Scratch
- Add the onions to a pan with a little oil.
- Prepare dinner till caramelised and add inside the garlic over the past minute of cooking.
- Add the onions to a bowl with the alternative ingredients.
- Stir to mix.
Then, slice up your favorite veggies and dig proper in or set it in the fridge for an hour earlier than serving. There could be enough to serve a crowd!
Tips to Make This Easy French Onion Dip
- Make sure to completely caramelise the onions. This creates the deep flavor for the dip so have a touch staying power. it can absorb to 45 minutes. grasp my pointers for a way to caramelise onions for the entire rundown.
- Change a number of the sour cream for Greek yogurt. this could provide a tangier flavor in addition to some added protein with less energy.
- Add water in case you prefer a runnier dip. as soon as you have mixed the ingredients together, add a tablespoon of water at a time till you get the consistency you want. I decide upon the thickness of it without water though.
- let the onions absolutely cool earlier than mixing them with the sour cream. If the onions are still warm, the cream can split.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it keep?
Once you’ve got made the dip, hold it tightly covered with plastic wrap. it’s going to hold well in the fridge for three to 4 days. Don’t freeze this dip as the sour cream will split and becoming liquidy when thawed.
What are the first-rate onions to apply?
I used yellow onions for this dip. they have got a slightly sweet and ambitious taste while caramelized. White onions will create a sharper taste and pink onions will create a milder flavor. you can also use thinly sliced shallots!
Can you operate low fat bitter cream?
For this recipe, I opt to use a complete fats sour cream, it’s far richer in flavor and much less watery in texture. you may use a low fats bitter cream if you decide on however the dip can be thinner.