Cheesy Mini Potato Gratin Stacks are the mini version of Potatoes au Gratin (Dauphinoise). Layers of thinly sliced potato baked in a muffin tin with cream, cheese, garlic and thyme, the excellent creamy cheesy mini potatoes.
You can also try my recipe of Oven Baked Potato Wedges you’ll love this simple and easy recipe. You can eat these potatoes in breakfast with eggs. party meals bites. so many possibilities!
Mini Potato Gratin Stacks (Dauphinoise)
All you need to understand is that these Mini Potato Gratin Stacks are tacky, creamy and ridiculously impossible to resist. I mean, allow’s be blunt. Mini Potatoes + cheese + cream + garlic + butter. BAM! That’s a domestic run proper there!
Certainly, they’re a mini version of French Potato Gratin / Dauphinoise. I’ve stated it before and that i’ll say it again – the whole thing is higher in mini form, no longer just as it’s adorable. however due to the fact you get the whole thing to your self.
Except no longer having to proportion, making these in mini shape way you get fine golden tacky edges on every piece which might be my favourite part. No golden edges whilst you make Dauphinoise the same old manner!
What you need to make Mini Potato Gratin Stacks
- Potatoes – Use starchy or all-rounder ones so they emerge as fluffy whilst cooked and absorb flavour. Sebago (the not unusual dirt brushed potatoes in Australia), Russet (US), Dutch creams, King Edwards and red satisfaction are all best.
In case you use waxy potatoes, the layers form of slip apart while you cut into them.
- Shape – choose lengthy skinny ones so you have less offcuts while trimmed into a cylinder form to reduce slices that healthy the muffin skinny.
- Cheese – Gruyere and Swiss cheese are my favourites here, for his or her melting fine and flavour. Any cheese that melts will work just high-quality – cheddar, Colby, tasty cheese. I have a tendency not to apply mozzarella because it doesn’t have as a whole lot salt / flavour as other cheese however you can in case you want.
- Shredded and sliced – I discover it first-class to use slices of cheese among the potato layers and shredded cheese on pinnacle.
- Cream – Thickened / heavy cream works excellent as it’s thicker so it swimming pools at the layers higher.
- Garlic – For flavour, to infuse the cream sauce.
- Thyme – classic herb flavouring for Dauphinoise.
How to make Mini Potato Gratin Stacks
Assembling every gratin stack does take a touch more effort than making one huge bubbly Dauphinoise for sharing. but it’s really worth it – mainly for the golden cheesy edges that you in no way get when you make one huge gratin bake!!
- Cutting the Potato Slices
- Peel and trim – Peel the potatoes then reduce the base so it’s far solid when status upright. Then trim the potato to make a (rough!) cylinder shape. It doesn’t depend if they are now not a great round – mine aren’t!. once they may be cooked, you can’t without a doubt inform if your potatoes are a touch greater hexagon-y or octogon-y, or even rectangular or triangular!!!
- Take a look at size – The cylinder should be the dimensions of the muffin tin holes.
- Potato cylinders – Repeat with final potato. To fill a fashionable 12 hoc muffin tin, you may need three potato cylinders reduce from 1.2 kg / 2.4 lb of potato.
- Slice thinly – the usage of both a mandolin or a pointy knife, reduce the potato into 2mm / 0.1″ thin slices.
- Separate slices – Use your fingers to split the slices as they will be predisposed to stick. We need to make certain the creamy sauce seeps between all of the potato layers!
- Cream sauce – soften the butter in a saucepan then sauté the garlic for 20 seconds or till it smells top notch. Then upload the cream and salt, and simmer for 30 seconds to carry the flavours together.
Now, we’re geared up to collect!
- Assembling the Gratin StacksBake!
- Fill halfway – region a stack of potato slices inside the muffin tin hole so they arrive up halfway.
- Pour over cream – Drizzle about 1 teaspoon of cream over the potatoes. No need to be exact right here, simply use approximately half the cream.
- Cheese slices – top with a slice of cheese.
- Potato and cream – pinnacle every stack with some other stack of potatoes so they may be simply higher than the rim of the muffin tin. We need to make them taller due to the fact they sink barely as soon as cooked.
Then drizzle the closing cream over each stack.
- Thyme – Sprinkle each stack with most of the thyme. Reserve a piece to sprinkle on at the cease. a hint of sparkling thyme is a without a doubt best of completion!
- Cover and bake – cover loosely with foil then bake for 40 mins at one hundred eighty°C/350°F or till the potato is cooked. take a look at by placing a knife all of the manner to the bottom – there have to be no resistance.
- Cheese then oven – top with the shredded cheese and return to the oven uncovered for 10 mins or till the cheese is melted and there are some lovable golden spots on the floor.
Garnish with thyme & serve! Sprinkle the pinnacle with the last thyme, then serve straight away!
What to serve with Mini Potato Gratin Stacks
You may need to eat them directly out of the oven, and they may be really tasty enough to accomplish that! but definitely, they may be meant to be a side dish.
I generally tend to pull these out for unique activities while we need a facet dish that’s a piece unique. think, holidays and celebratory gatherings, alongside things which includes:
You can make these mini potatoes with anything you like, specially as a sideline with steaks, chickens etc. These are kids friendly as well.